Saturday, July 30, 2005

Hey, Let's Go to Fry's...

Friday is the day that Fry's has its weekly sale and it is always a source of entertainment for all of us geeks at work when the ad comes out. Yesterday was no exception. I walked over to "Paul's" office (see previous blog entries) to take a look at it since he gets the Friday paper. I look through it, see some interesting things and decide that I want to go "kick the tires" at Fry's during lunch. While this is not verbatim, it is close:

Me - "Hey Paul, wanna go to Fry's at lunch?"
Paul - "Sure, I need to pick up a few things. When do you go to lunch?"
Me - "Whenever I want, dude. Seriously, about 11:30 AM. Just let me scarf down my lunch and then we can go."
Paul - "Cool."

2 hours later.

Me - "Dude, you ready to go?"
Paul - "Yeah, let's go."
Me - "OK, just let me lock my office."
Paul - "I never lock my office."

We get in my truck, remove the sunshade, fire up the CD player and head to Fry's (which is about a ten minute drive).

Paul - "What are you listening to?"
Me - "POD's rendition of 'Bullet the Blue Sky' by U2. I am not sure if I like it or not. It is definitely heavier (which is an understatement)."
Paul - "Sounds cool."
Me - "Yeah, not bad for a CHRISTIAN band, eh (laughing...He had in the past says he never thought Christians could play cool music)?
Paul - "Well, it is not bad."

We arrive at Fry's and tell him to lead the way. I was just going to "kick tires" anyway. I did not have any schedule nor was I in a hurry. He heads for the home DVD players and shows me some of the latest models. I have to admit, they are nice. Sony and JVC both have models that will read almost any multimedia and play it back on your PC: Mp3, DVD, AVI's, DIVX, MPG ... they even have slots to read stuff from memory cards. THAT is nice. They are making the stereo system the media center now. I am impressed.

Paul picks out a silver JVC with blue lights (He has this thing for glowing blue lights...go figure) and we start walking towards the appliances.

Paul - "Dude, I need one of those small oven things that you can toast things in."
Me - "A 'Toaster Oven'?"
Paul - "Yea, one of those. They have one on sale for 15 bucks."

We go pick up one and a spindle of blank DVD's. On our way up to pay, I offer to carry the toaster oven, he hands it over, not sure why I would offer. I tell him that I am a nice guy and his friend. I want to carry it. He suddenly realizes he needs to get an rolling office chair for home. So we go back and pick up the one they have on sale for $40-50 (not sure). I hand him the toaster oven and pick up the chair.

Paul - "Dude, you don't have to carry that. We can get someone to help us."
Me - "It is not a big deal. You need anything else or do you want to head back?"
Paul - "What time did we leave?"
Me - "Not sure, but it was between 11:40 and noon."
Paul - "OK, let's go check out."

We walk up front carrying all this stuff and we get in line. He reaches in his back pocket and realizes:

Paul - "Dude, I forgot my wallet."
Me - "Are you serious? Really? Oh, man that is hilarious!"
Paul - "This is embarrassing. Man, we gotta go now."
Me - "OK, let me help you put this stuff back."
Paul - "What??"
Me - "It won't take long, we only have 4 things to put back on the shelves."
Paul - "Dude, that is what the workers here are supposed to do. I know, my friend works here. They look for stuff that is out of place so they have something to do."
Me - "Paul, that ain't right. I am going to put the chair back on the pallet where we got it."

Paul follows me and I can tell that he is not happy, but he says nothing. After I put back the chair, I turned around to head out and notice he has nothing in his hands."

Me - "Where is the DVD player, blank DVD's, and the toaster oven?"
Paul - "I put them down."
Me - "In the proper place?"
Paul - "Well...no. Dude it doesn't matter. The Fry's guys will find it and put it back and even if they don't, I am gonna come back after work and pick it up again. It will most likely still be where I put it."
Me - "(laughing) I will never be able to come in here again. I am going to have to shave my beard and head, wear contacts and dress like a bum before I can come back. You embarrassed me. Do you realize we have been filmed the entire time we have been here? We look like crooks (laughing harder)."
Paul - "No we don't...do we? Damn, we were being filmed. Crap. Uhhh, maybe I won't come back...(laughing)."

We drive back and I am still laughing at him for forgetting his wallet. He left it on his desk, in his UNLOCKED office. That boy is foolish.

Paul - "Dude, I am sorry about forgetting my wallet."
Me - "Paul, that is OK. I am not mad. It was fun until you refused to put back the stuff you ALMOST bought (laughing). I mean, we had the truck to put it in, but you blew it..."
Paul - "I will go back and get it after work."
Me - "Actually, this will be a funny addition to add to my blog."
Paul - "YOU ARE ACTUALLY GOING TO WRITE ABOUT ME IN YOUR BLOG??"
Me - "Dude, you are already in there many times."
Paul - "(laughing)...WHAT?"
Me - "Yep. You do it, I blog it."
Paul - "Dude, you are so going to get fired."
Me - "I only print what is true. If I got fired for blogging, I would sue on principle alone.

I have to admit that I had fun. Paul* will see the light, eventually. He is a good guy. He is a very kind person, very giving. He has a few bad habits (OK, a lot of them). He is like a lump of coal waiting to be pressed into a shiny diamond.

I think he finally realizes that all his extra curricular drug use is getting to him. He has been taking Paxil (I think) and wants to add Wellbutrin to his daily regiment. I personally do not think he needs it, but I am not doctor. I think that if he just changed his environment, he would benefit greatly. Too many of his "friends" use drugs recreationally, and he does it to fit it. He is 30, trying to act 20-ish. I do not say these things out of malice. I care for him in a way a Christian cares about those close to him. While we are worlds apart, I understand him.

On the way to Fry's we chatted about our old boss, Jorge**. Jorge was laid off the same time I got demoted about 3 years ago, do to RIF's (Reduction In Force aka layoffs). We had too many mgrs so they trimmed a lot of fat. I was a supervisor and was busted down to a regular line employee (although my HR title still said supervisor) for my day to day work.

I was supposed to have lunch with him today, but he had to work overtime. I cannot blame him, I am sure he could use the cash. After he was laid off (which was when the unemployment rate in this area was pretty bad), he never was able to find a job that paid his bills. He lost the house he just bought and his car (I believe) and was forced to move in with his parents who live an hour away. He takes the train every day to work where he work on a help desk, a position well beneath his ability, but it is what God wants him to do. Jorge is growing stronger in his faith, just as I am. God had to tear him down to show him who was in charge and it was a painful lesson. One that I am sure I would have trouble dealing with. It seems that Jorge is doing ok with it. I know it has been tough, but he has not shown me that he is bitter.

One last update. I went to the doctor Thursday. It was the first time in 4 years I have gone. I guess I am just scared of being told bad news. Anyway, my wife asked me to go. I kept putting it off, but finally:

Wife - "El Gee***, I want you do do something for me on your birthday."
Me - "What can I do for you?"
Wife - "Go get a physical. Please. It has been 4 years. I want them to look at that thing on your elbow (it turns out that it was a wart that only partially healed, so it look weird), and your hip that is giving you problems (I was thinking that it might be arthritis, but the doc does not think so. He is not sure what it is, but it may be muscular) and blood work."
Me - "Ok, I will go. Make me the appointment and I will go. If I did not love you I would not go, so remember that! (smiling)"
Wife - "Oh THANK YOU, El Gee!"

Friday the doctor's office called and all my blood work came back normal except my cholesterol is a bit high (210-217). Not in the danger zone, but elevated enough that they want me to watch my diet and get more cardio-vascular exercise. I just need to go figure out what I can eat that will help lower my "bad" cholesterol.

The doctor gave me to scripts for a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory to see if that helps my neck and hip. I have still not filled it. I hate taking meds worse than going to the doc.

OK, I have bored you enough. Back to your life :-).


*Paul is not his real name. I do not use real names unless that person gives me permission to do so.
**Jorge is not his real name. See above.
***Do you really think that El Gee is my name?

No comments: