Thursday, June 23, 2005

Update Before I Leave Work

"Paul" did not come to work today. This is the 3rd day he has missed this week. I do not want to inquire too much, or it may look suspicious...let me tell you why. Yesterday, I took a leap of faith and asked my boss (A Divinity student) what I should do if I suspected that a colleague had a substance abuse problem. He looked at me and I said, "Tim, it is not me, but I will not tell you who until I know what the policy is." We chatted about what I suspected, what I had observed, and what I felt. "I want to do the ethical thing - the right thing", I told him. He agreed and told me since he is new to the policies of the company we work for, he would investigate.

"Paul" has a valid, legal prescription for Paxil and he has taken other anti-depression (Xanex/Zoloft?) drugs in addition to the illegal street drugs he takes for recreation. I have been told that he has a close friend, who is studying to be a pharmacist, is dealing to him. He goes to Raves, clubbing, and if truth be known, I think their is a darker sin he is hiding. I will not mention it but I have wondered about it for some time. He needs away from those people. He needs a change of venue.

My wife is trying to put together brochure for her boss. She brought home some photos and asked me to scan them for her, which I did. She is trying to insert them into the newly formed brochure, but she is having some difficulties. I told her that I would cut work early (hey, I worked through my lunch!) and come down.

I have been transferring all of our home movies from VHS to digital files, later to be transferred to DVD. I am having difficulties editing the raw footage. I have never been very good at media editing, I am more of a hardware/software config guy, not an A/V technician. I have all the tools, I just need to figure out how to do it. I can build PC's load Linux or Windows, create networks, set up motion activated cameras and have the pictures on a web site and make web pages but I cannot cut up my raw video data and merge it into a usable format.

I am such a geek.

No comments: