Friday, June 24, 2005

My Testimony

No, this is not my profession of faith, just an update on the Testimony I gave at our church last week.

I got up and started with a bit of humor about how nervous I was and I received a polite, but sincere round of laughter, which helped. I detest speaking in front of large groups. I get very nervous. I bet it is a pride thing, since at that point, I am not in control (but are we ever really in control?) and I feel the whole world can see me as a nervous little boy, not a strong confident man.

My testimony was on the Men's Ministry at our church, and how it has affected me and my family. I kept it at just about 5 minutes, and covered most everything I wanted to cover. I received a much healthier round of applause than I expected. While my voice did not crack much, my hands shook uncontrollably. I felt horrible.

But, I did what God wanted me to do. The real surprising thing that happened was I received a letter (not an e-mail) from one of the older ladies in our church telling me that she thought I did a great job, and to keep giving testimonies and it would become easier each time. She had been in my Start-Up group and plans on joining our Care Group when it officially starts up again. She has such a servant's heart, and a neat last name.

I also received several "Good Job!" comments from many of the congregation. I know they were just being polite, but it DID go better than I had expected.

I do not think I mentioned this before, but I have been baptized in the Methodist Church (The Methodist Sprinkle), and while that is accepted by our church, I get the feeling that God is asking me to make a public show of faith by getting a baptism by immersion in the church's Baptismal Font. I am not sure why, but I believe it is divinely inspired.

I hope I did not offend anyone with the "sprinkle" comment. That was not my intention. I originally was very satisfied with my Baptism, but now I am unsure. I need to talk to our pastor. When in doubt, go to your elders! Good advice to live by, eh?

So have you been Baptized and received the Holy Spirit? How? When?

I would love to know.

No comments: