Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Random Stuff / Shotgun Update

Morning arrived too soon for me. I walked the healthier dog while was still half asleep and fed him in much the same way. My morning coffee helped clear the cobwebs and by the time it "kicked in", I was ready to do my daily bible reading. I am reading the "Song of Songs" in the Old testament. If you think God does not want you to enjoy sex (within the boundaries of marriage), you need to read it. Good stuff.

I stopped and got gasoline for the Dakota on my way to work since the price had dropped 10 cents or so since last week. It most likely will go back up...I need something more economical but we just cannot afford to buy anything at this time.

Work started out at a decent click, not overly busy but steady enough to keep me from checking any personal e-mail until now. At 10:50 my boss asked me to sit in a meeting regarding some of the software installs that I have been doing and it was semi-informative. I think a summary would have been sufficient but if they felt the need to have me attend, then so be it.

Most of our issues have been Linux related and since I am trying to learn more, I tried to help out some. I managed to fix one, but the other two were really beyond my skill set so I had to pass them on to the local tech. He is pretty nice to me since I do not have the skills he has and he has been gracious to take some of the harder cases from me when needed. Nice guy.

Today is the day our Golden has ACL surgery. My wife called a few minutes ago to let me know the surgery was almost over and the dog is looking good. My wife is very happy now. We were told that our Golden will never be able to run and play like she used to or she may damage that knee again. That is going to be tough on her, but you do what you have to do.

I started adding something to my diet. Not diet as in special food, but diet as in what I eat/drink. I have tried to eat only low or no trans fat foods when I can, I drink as much water as I can, but I have also added 2 cups of green tea to my diet each day (one in the AM and one in the afternoon. I have heard many good things about green tea and I am anxious to possibly gain some of those benefits. I am concerned about caffeine, though. I have one diet soda and 2 cups of coffee a day, PLUS the two cups of green tea. Is that too much? I also think it is a diuretic, because I am making mad trips to the men's room. I usually go pretty frequently, (thanx to all the water I drink) but I seem to go more when I drink the tea. I have been drinking it for about a week. I am sure it will take at least 8 weeks before I see any effects from it.

I got an e-mail from Microsoft the other day informing me that I will NOT be getting my "free" USB thumb drive. Seems like I was just a bit too late in requesting it. No one I know got one...they all got the same e-mail.

I have been considering getting USD-TV. It is basically Hi-Def TV broadcast over the air and while it does not have the variety that cable or satellite does, it has the channels I want, minus History and A&E (and Fox Sports, but we cannot have it all now, can we?). Most of the programming is family friendly and it is cheaper than cable. While I can get about 30-40 more channels with cable, many of those are nothing I want to see and basic cable is over $50 a month. It is only available in limited areas. I would still need to find a broadband provider (naked DSL or wireless internet) but that would not bee a major issue.

I know this sounds stupid, but I really hope August gets here quickly. Both mine and my wife's cell phones will not hold a charge more than 36 hours. The more you charge a phone, the shorter the life span becomes and we have had these phones just shy of 2 years. I know I can get free ones when we renew the contract. 3 months is a long time when your phone will not hold a charge.

My wife and I were discussing finances and she asked me if we were still going to visit my mom in October. To be perfectly honest, I cannot see how we can afford it. We have depleted our surplus and with the added debt of the dog operation (almost $3,000) it is not looking good. I have not seem my mom since last summer and I would like to visit. If I go by myself, I will save some money because I can stay with mom...her small house does not bother me, but if my wife goes with me, then we have to take the dogs and that is going to be way too much for her tiny 800 sq ft house. It will only cost me gas, two nights at a state park (where I sleep) and food. Even with the cost of gas, it still should be doable.

Today is the monthly birthday celebration here at work. I am glad I did not stuff myself at lunch because they usually have a ton of finger food. It all tastes so good :) They have junk food as well, but I try not too eat too much of that. I have to sample some of it though...

Last night was One to One Discipling with my wife's boss. We only have 2 more lessons to go. It is more of a formality than anything else, he is already stronger in his faith than I think I am. Oh, I have my moments, but he is in his 50's and has been a Christian for 30 years or so. I am still in my infancy.

Tonight is care group night and we are having Taco Salad. Last week was picnic style with all the care groups and we had burgers and hot dogs and all the sides. We pitched horse shoes and played volleyball (at least I did until my wife caught me playing...I tend to dive and that is not good for me any more) and generally had a great time. It was windy (isn't it always in Texas?) and that kicked up a lot of sand and dust but we all had fun.

I need to cut the grass tomorrow if it does not rain. It is not high yet but it will be in a few days. I have already adjusted my watering days and duration to comply with the water usage restrictions we have in effect here in my town. We are not as bad as others, but we still will pay stiff fee if we use over the allotted amount.

Well, lunch is over. I better get back to work.

No comments: