Friday, May 26, 2006

Confusion and an E-mail From Our Son

My wife went to be about the same time I did last night, which was right after I finished Season 5, Episode 17 of Babylon 5...somewhere around 10 PM. She had been crying about our 6 year old Golden who has hip dysplasia and a blown ACL. The dog is in some pain, but we have pain meds to keep her as comfortable as possible. We cannot see the vet again until Tuesday due to their schedule and Monday being a holiday in the US.

She slept until 2 AM, then she woke and spent time with her ailing pet. She cried some more. She turned on the PC and typed me a 1 page letter outlining her decision and her plan. Being an animal lover and a Christian has made this hard. She knows that $2000 is a lot of money and we cannot afford it. Yes, the vet has a payment plan, but it still is going to really set us back. We are trying to get out of about $20,000 of debt (car, credit card, and home repair) and it looks like we have about 2 years of payments to go. Adding this will extend that by about 6 months at least...

I slept through her activities until the alarm woke me 5 AM, my normal waking hour. She had been crying a bit, weeping quietly with the dog near her. When I woke she told me that she wants to think and pray about this before she makes her decision and that the note she typed me she wants to destroy after I read it. I at first told her to destroy it before I read it, but I know that it is important for me to know her state of mind at all times.

I told her to go ahead and get the surgery done. She responded by asking me if that is what God has lead me to decide or if I was doing it because putting the dog down would break my wife's heart. Nabbed again. I do not get many revelations from God, but when I do, I know it. I have not been praying hard on this. I am not sure why...maybe I am just being lazy. Maybe I think I know better than God does (yeah, right!) on this issue. I want to give it up to God, but maybe I am afraid of his answer to me.

Please pray for me, my wife, and our beloved Golden. We desperately need those prayers.

On a lighter note, our son e-mailed us again (twice in one week) asking us to pay his storage unit fee for him. The Army has messed up his pay (surprise!) again and he will not get paid for 3 more weeks...2 weeks later than his bill is due. I have not told him yes, but we will do it for him.

He passed his CDL test and got a 96%. He went on his first convoy (20 miles) and will go on a much longer one before he graduates. He has to drive with others from Missouri to Colorado non-stop. Fun!

He graduates in late June and will be coming back to live with friends. He is slated to ship out to Iraq in October to drive back and forth from Saudi to southern Iraq. While no parent is happy when their child goes to Iraq, at least he is in the southern part...a few less bullets and bomb are there.

No comments: