Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Holiday Weekend Update

Memorial Day weekend started on Friday for some but for me it was business as usual. I was working right up until I left at my customary 4:30 PM. Now that did not bother me at all. The weekend was going to be a quiet one and I had no major plans. I had cut the grass the day before so I had nothing I HAD to do, although there are things we all WANT to do.

Friday evening about 9:30 or so, I received an e-mail stating that *Mickey's mother in law (*Mary's mother) had passed away. "Mary" had gone up just 2 days before to visit her mother, knowing that her health was failing. She was blessed with two days to visit.

"Mickey" was planning on driving up Saturday afternoon, so I just assumed that we were not going out to breakfast. He had contacted "Bob" and "Joe" and invited them to go with us. I was surprised to hear "Mickey" say, "Nope, we are still going to breakfast...I need you guys!"

The next morning I got cleaned up and did "the ritual" (walk/feed dogs, shower, coffee) minus breakfast. I checked e-mail, started some downloads, and did a few other things when I noticed that it was about time for "Mickey" to pick me up. I always like to be outside waiting when my friends come by to pick me up...I am funny that way.

"Mickey" was late, but that was no big deal. "Joe" called me just as "Mickey" pulled up, so I told "Joe" we were 5 minutes away. We picked up "Joe" and headed over to get "Bob". "Bob" lived not too far from me, which surprised me. I thought he lived further south.

We headed to "The Original Pancake House" for a late breakfast. There was a wait of about 20 minutes or so, but the time went by pretty fast. We ordered and when our food arrived, we dove in with gusto, making time to chat. "Mickey" had a lot on his mind, but he still chatted with us all.

The food was great. Everyone ordered eggs but me. I cannot stand the smell or taste of eggs. I guess my dad ruined that for me. He ate eggs all the time and made me eat them on weekends with him. I almost gagged and to this day they gross me out. I instead had crepes. While not "man food", I did order a side of their wonderful bacon. I normally only eat my bacon crispy, but this thick cut bacon was fantastic. BACON!

I got back home and helped my wife put up some window (UV and heat reflecting) film on the patio doors. WORD OF WARNING: This type of job is a two person job. If you are going to put this on large glass surfaces, I suggest three people.

Normally my wife and I do not work together very well. Not sure why, but we do not. Amazingly enough, we got through this task unscathed. Go us! Do not get me wrong, the job is far from perfect, but it looks pretty good all things considered.

I killed the rest of the day by replacing the toilet flappers, replacing light bulbs, paying bills, and finishing up Babylon 5 season 5. I now only have the Babylon 5 movies to watch. They may just be long episodes that I have already seem, but that is ok. If they are, then I will just jump full force into Farscape and Star Blazers.

Sunday's ritual rarely changes. I went to go teach Sunday school, but since this was a holiday weekend, the turnout was nil. I hung around for while, read my bible some, and then went service. My wife was late getting to church. She has been having trouble sleeping again. It seems every couple of months she has this problem. She will go to bed at 10 or 11 PM, wake up at 2 or 3 AM, and go back to bed at 5 AM, getting up again at 8 or 9 AM. We are not sure what the problem is.

After church we grabbed a quick bite at Wendy's and ran a few errands. We came back home and just took it easy. I called my mom and talked to her for about an hour while my wife took a nap. Not much new with her. Not much ever changes in her world.

Monday after I got "the ritual" done, I began to vacuum the house. After I had finished that (and two loads of clothes) I went out to weed the area around our shrubs. That spot gets some very heavy Bermuda grass invading it on a regular basis. Living in Texas, we cannot grow rye grass or fescue. The heat is so intense that it would burn up unless you watered it every day. Most lawns are Bermuda or Saint Augustine grass. Both are very drought resistant, but they have some side effects that are a little odd if you have never had them before. First, they both die in the winter. Instead of a green lawn all year long, you get a lovely brown lawn in November that lasts about 3-4 months. Bermuda grass will grow "creepers" that will grown horizonally across your lawn to help thicken it, but the bad part about that is the the "creepers" will go between landscaping bricks and stones and UNDER the metal landscaping borders and creep into your flower beds. It can get to be a mess.

After my lawn adventures, I helped my wife wash her van. It was COATED with thousands of "love bugs" that had died in the act of procreating when our van smacked into them. Almost every vehicle we saw on the high way to and from Florida was coated with them.

We got the van finished on the outside (well mostly...my wife did not do the ArmorAll on the wheels (I hate that stuff...especially on the steering wheel) and I went to Krogers to get some sandwiches. NEVER send me to the store hungry. I cam back with mangos, chips, ice cream, and sandwiches. I forgot I was out of Monster Khaos Energy Drinks or I would have gotten them, too. I guess that since I only picked up a small basket to get the sandwiches instead of a cart, I could only fill it up so far. Lucky me.

After a quick dinner of sandwiches and chips, we watched UFC 60 (taped from Saturday). The main event was Matt Hughes and the legendary Royce Gracie. There were some other good matches as well, but that one was very, very good. Royce is old school and Matt is one of the new breed of warriors. I have been a fan of Matt Hughes for about a year now, going back to watch some of his older matches. The man is "super gorilla strong" as Joe Rogan would say.

When that was over, we watched "Serenity" again. "Serenity" is a good movie with several good one-liners that builds on the "Firefly" series. If you have not seen it, please do so. If you can get the DVD's for "Firefly", get them. The series was wonderful.

After watching those two videos, I was ready to hit the hay. I knew Tuesday would be busy (as previously blogged) and my wife needed her sleep since she had to take the Golden to the surgeon today to see what could be done. It looks like about $2600 or so is what the surgery will cost. Looks like we will have to extend our debt another years or so. The good news is that at least the dog is in very good health other than her blown ACL. That is a blessing.

*Not their real names

No comments: