Thursday, August 14, 2008

Facing The Undesirable

I once read that when you are in situation that you are dreading, the best way to get through it is to break it up into manageable chunks. I never really gave it much thought until I realized that being on call without any pay (or comp time) was something that I really dreaded. So I thought I would give the technique a try. Oddly enough, it seems to help.

Since my rotation is for seven days and nights, I just keep telling myself, "Make it through the night and tomorrow will take care of itself." As long as I only focus on the present day, things seem to go well.

I am on my fourth day of on call, one more day left of the work week and then two days of weekend. After that I work for four days then I am off until September 2nd.

One day at a time. And everyday I ask God for the strength to get through one more day.

Oh, I understand that many of you wonder why I put up with the on call if I hate it so much. Well to be honest, every job I have interviewed for has had either on call or 60 hour weeks. At 40 something, I am too old to live by a phone that rings at all hours.

No comments: