Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Post Election Comments

The United States has elected a new president, Republican Donald Trump.  Let that sink in.  His opponent was a lifelong politician and wife to former Democratic President Bill Clinton.

Those were the primary choices the US had to lead our great nation.  Of course we had other options, Independent candidates Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, but they really only served to take votes away from Trump and Clinton. There was no chance they would get elected but nonetheless they received votes from people who could just not tolerate the idea of voting for the Democratic or Republican candidate being offered.   I am not going to hide the fact that I chose Gary Johnson.  In my opinion he was, despite his faults, better than then Democratic or Republican choices being offered.

My father (when he was living) *hated* the fact I voted Independent.  He was a life-long Democrat and said, "a vote for an Independent was a vote thrown away".  I respected his opinion but I did not share it.

Social media has not been a pleasant place today.  SOME who voted for Trump are gloating like poor winners and SOME who voted for Clinton are vitriolic, saying how much they hate those who supported Trump, how America is doomed, etc.  I even read one post where the author condemned ("I hate them all") the third party voters because they cost her the election!  People, please do your homework.

Hillary won the popular vote, albeit not by much (at the time of this post...things could change).  The Electoral votes are what got Trump elected.  To my knowledge no Electoral vote was cast for a third party candidate, hence those voters cannot be blamed!

Many of my friends are conservative voted for Trump and while they never said anything to me about it, I am sure they were disappointed and fearful that third party voters would "steal" votes from Trump.  Maybe, just maybe, they did but again IT DOES NOT MATTER.  The electoral votes are all that matters, so Trump supporters, it is a moot point.

I also have a lot of friends who are liberals and many of them voted for Hillary.  Most of them were not happy when I voted third party.  They were certain it would take away votes  from their candidate.  RELAX, Hillary won the popular vote (at the time of this post and not by much).  The independent voters did not hurt you, in fact they may have actually helped.  If I had only Clinton and Trump to chose from, I probably would not have voted at all.

I can appreciate the passion you have for the candidate you endorsed.  However, all the hate (from both sides) only makes you look like a spoiled baby.  Conservatives lost in 2008 and 2012...they got over it.  For my liberal friends, this to shall pass.  For my conservative friends, be a good sport.  Work towards building bridges.

No comments: