Monday, November 14, 2016

It Is Getting Harder Every Day

Each morning I wake up at 5 AM, take my ALS meds (with no way of knowing if they are helping or not) and head into the master bathroom to get my shower and brush my teeth.  Like most men, my hygiene time is generally less than most women (I don't have to put on makeup, fix my hair or apply oils/lotions to keep my skin soft) but lately I see that time increasing a bit more each day.  Getting ready to leave the house is progressively getting harder each day.

I like long, hot showers but now the amount of time spent in the shower is not because I enjoy it, it is because now it just simply takes me longer to perform the action of getting clean than it did a year ago.  The scary thing is that it is only going to get worse.

For the past year and a half or so I have not had much use of my left hand for fine motor skill activities.  I have compensated by using my right hand more but now I am noticing that is is beginning to fail me at times, mostly in the morning, when it is cold, or when I am hungry.  I cannot even button my jeans in the morning anymore. Usually by 9 or 10 AM (once I have had some coffee and some food) I can but I run the risk of not being able to unbutton them while I am work.  If I wore my jeans "baggy", I could probably mitigate the problem a bit.  I normally wear a 32x32 and moving to a 34x32 does not sound all that appealing but I will do what I have to do.  I guess I need to research to see what kinds of pants are available for people in my situation.

Humbling.

Found this web site.  Looks promising.

No comments: