Friday, April 10, 2015

The Race Must Go On

I have been actively following the threat of severe weather that was predicted on the day that I have planned to run my last half-marathon and I am happy to report that while rain is in the forecast, it appears it will not materialize until late afternoon or the evening.  The race will go on.

I picked up my race packet yesterday and like the previous Fairview Half Marathon, it was pretty skimpy.   There were a few coupons, an Emergen-C packet, and some fruit flavored gummy candy  but other than one of those drawstring bags you can wear as a backpack, there was nothing else other than the obligatory Race Day Shirt, which I have to admit is nicer than some cheap unisex cotton tee shirt that you see at some events.  I realize part of this money goes to charity, another part goes to the finisher's medals (which are gawd awfully big this year) and I am sure the rest to admin costs but your would think that sponsors would like to give out something of interest.

I just chucked the coupons since they were for places I cannot afford to shop at anyway.

I got home an my wife seemed rather perturbed that I had entered another race, or more accurately, had spent money on registration.  Yeah, money is something we fight about.  I know she gets concerned and I can appreciate that, but I don't waste money and it is not too often I want to spend it on something for just me.

Initially I thought she was upset because hard physical exertion only exasperates the symptons of ALS but I soon realized she was mad because of the money I spent.   Honestly, this bothers me quite a bit but discussing it with her is pointless.  I will be wrong no matter what.  I realize that men and women view spending differently.  She feels I waste money on my hobbies (which to be honest I have cut WAY back on) and I think she goes overboard on "natural" and "organic" products fur us and the dogs (when they were alive).  Maybe we are both wrong.  I just wish we could meet someplace in the middle.

That reminds me of a joke:

If a man is talking in the middle of the woods and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Today was a workout day but since I have a race tomorrow I took it easy and only did elliptical at a moderate pace for 60 minutes.  Normally I go at it a little harder,  hitting at least 8 miles during that same 60 minutes but I scaled it back today clocking in just over 7.75 miles.  No aches, no  pains.  I will need to get a restful nights sleep tonight, get up tomorrow and take my Rilozole  at 5:30, eat something light at 6:30, make sure I have used the bathroom and have nothing left to surprise me later, leave the house by 7:00 and start the race at 7:30.  I live pretty close so this should not be a problem but knowing me I will be up a little early because I will not be able to sleep.  Nerves on race day are common.

I remember my first half marathon I was so tired at the end I do not remember them handing me my finishers medal and walked right past the post race refreshments, which were fairly nice (water,  chocolate milk, OJ, baby bundt cakes, bananas, etc).  My buddy Tom had to point them out to me.  I will try to remember them this time.  I will be hungry because I will have burned off close to 1500 calories during this race.

One of the funniest things about these races is that they are part fashion show as well as athletic event.  Some people get  into dressing up (one guy dressed up in a viking hat last time and some of the women were in multicolored neon clothing that just did not match but it was fun to look at) and it can be quite the attraction.  Some people spend a lot of money on running gear but I just run in whatever is comfortable to me...typically a technical athletic shirt and shorts.  I have an old pair of running shows I save for races because they are so comfortable.  I know I cannot work out in them every day (the padding is worn out) but they are just fine for races.

It is also quite a social event.  I noticed a lot of the people picking up their packets yesterday were driving very nice cars (Audi,  BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc) and it is all about who you are seen with for some people.  Not me.  While I know I will not place in the top three of my age/gender catagory, I go  because I want to prove to myself that I can do it.  This time I am a little more skeptical  since my symptoms have worsened since I  registered at the beginning of the year. I am sure I can finish it but I am pretty sure that it will be slower than last time.  I average a 9:44/mile pace last time and would have done a bit better had I slowed it down earlier and saved myself for the end.  I ended up walking some during miles 11 and 12...not a lot but some.  This year I think I will hang with the 10:00/mile crowd and if I do better, so be it.  If not, then no harm to me.  Last year I started with the 9:50  crowd and moved up to the 9:40 before I started losing steam.   I hope not to repeat that.

I am not a natural athlete.  I have to work to do as well as I do, which is not stellar by any means but I am proud of what I have been able to accomplish.  Besides, how many other people with ALS will be running this? ;)

No comments: