Thursday, January 14, 2010

Survival Of The Fittest

Last weekend I was scheduled to go camping with PapaKilo at ESP but that just did not work out. While I was all game for it, the weather forecast was calling for temps near ZERO degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill below zero. While I am far from a coward, temps that low can be dangerous so we skipped it.

Sad that we did since that was the last weekend in January we both had off. However, this weekend (if the rain stays away) is shaping up nicely and next weekend is looking the same. While I will not be heading out with my BiC (Brother in Christ) PapaKilo (PK as we call him) I will be able to try my hand at solo camping. I am looking forward to it.

All this desire to get back to camping has moved me to read more on survival tactics. One rule that has stuck in my mind since ever I heard it a few weeks ago is "The Rule of Threes":

Three hours - this is how long the human body can survive exposed to the elements without shelter in extreme conditions without permanent damage.
Three days - this is how long the human body can survive without water under normal to moderately extreme (hot/cold) conditions without permanent damage
Three weeks - this is how long the human body can go without food without permanent damage.

So, with this in mind, when you set up camp, you know what you need to do first. You need to get shelter and build a small fire, if possible...shelter first. Once this is done, you work on acquiring water and lastly, food.

While camping is enjoyable for me, I do have an ulterior motive. I am hoping to get to a point where I can hike into a secluded parcel of land with just a pack and survive a few days with just what I bring with me. Ultimately I would like this to include trapping small game (rabbit) or using a slingshot (wrist rocket) to bring down a squirrel to use as food. Of course I am no where near this stage yet. My current level allows me tent camp without a lot of the trappings of home life. I have not tried to build a shelter or get a good night's sleep without a blanket or sleeping bag. Right now I am in the process of gathering all I need to tent camp comfortably solo. Once I reach that point, I will work on "lightening the load" to allow me to backpack camp (carrying everything you need to your camp site on your back in one trip). Once I get to that point, then I can work on "survival camping" where instead of backing in with a full hikers pack (50 + lbs.) you pack in with a smaller hunters pack (25 lbs or less). Obviously survivalist camping requires you to pack less and what you do pack should be multipurpose. Pack as little and as light as you can.

No comments: