Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Think This Is Rather Stupid

But that is just my opinion.

C|Net is reporting that wireless operators are accelerating their plans to beef up the wireless networks. More capacity is needed to accommodate the growing numbers of wireless data users, a trend first started with the iPhone. While I see a need to upgrade the networks, part of the "problem" was created by the carriers themselves and they continue to grow it with the new rules regarding rate plans. I am referring to the mandatory data plans for mid level and greater smart phones.

At least two operators, AT&T (my carrier) and Verizon are making data plans mandatory for many of their smart phones. Now if a data plan is mandatory then that means people are going to be more prone to use it, hence putting a greater strain on the network. With the greater strain comes more expense to the operators and greater customer service issues and costs.

I take this kinda personally because I own two smart phones (one was issued by my work and one is my personal line) and while one has data (work) I do not use it all that much. If I am forced to have data on my personal line, then I will have data on two phones (a huge waste of money) and I will be tempted (heck, I will want to) use the data for trivial things, causing more of a load on an already stressed system. I think that is stupid.

To be honest I have a smart phone for the PDA functionality of it. I like having a contact/memo list as well as a few apps (world clock, TZ tool, converter, PW safe, Geocaching aid, calendar, e-book reader, dictionary, thesaurus, and some simple games) in my phone, but data is not really needed (although it has been helpful at times). Why does the mobile industry think that just because I have a smart phone I want/need data?

The telecoms industry is not stupid. They have been losing money on the rapidly declining land line market and are seeking to recoup some of that revenue. A lot of people I know have ditched land lines and are mobile only, saving $30-50 a month. Well, the telco's believe they should not lose that money, so they offer you wireless web for approximately the same amount. That increases the strain on the network, causing issues for the customer and the telco. Endless cycle of needing revenue to upgrade the network so you sign on more customers increasing the strain on the network so you cans spend that money to update the now horribly outdated and overstressed system.

I cut the land line to save money. Right now we pay a tad less for two mobile phones with plenty of minutes than we did for a land line, long distance, and one cell phone with half the minutes we have now (thanx to an employee discount). Adding data only would increase my monthly bill.

Rollnig out network upgrades is not cheap and we are the ones who pay for it. The telco's get a good deal from the companies who provide the equipment (I know, I worked for one of the largest for seven years and have been supporting them for almost seven more) and we get to pay for that network with increases in our mobile phone bills and more features we may not need.

I received notice that I would be charged for a data plan if I did not pick one for my Palm Centro on AT&T's network. The Centro is not even a 3G phone and I will get charged smart phone rates when the best data I can get is EDGE. Stupid.

No comments: