Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Camping Christmas

My wife was kind enough to get me a gift card at Academy Sorts and I decided to use it to get me some camping gear. I did not get a lot, but I think I did okay for the amount I spent.

First thing on my list was a tent that I could set up by myself. While my Cabin tent would be nice, it is just too big to manhandle alone. With that, I decided to get a hikers technical tent. I chose the No Limits Kings Peak tent. While it states it is as two man tent, I figure it is more like a "one man plus his gear" tent.

The next thing on my list was a way to cook if a fire was not possible or practical. I saw the Timber Creek stove for $20 so I picked it up. I also picked up a bottle of propane for it as well.

I thought about getting a mess kit but I thought that I would wait on that (PapaKilo plans on cleaning out his gear and he told me that he would give me some of his older stuff he does not want) and get a cheap cookware set instead. I got a Timber Creek branded one similar to this sans the bowls and a little lower quality. Oh, mine is black instead of blue.

Before I left the store, I realized that I did not have the "footprint" (ground cloth/tarp) for my tent. Usually manufacturers sell the footprint separately, but I could not find one for this model so I picked up a 6x8 poly tarp instead. It would have been nice to find a construction site with so leftover Tyvex (I have read that Tyvex makes great footprint material) but that was not an option, although I will try to keep that option open in the future.

So after looking at what I have already, I think I am ready for a solo trip out.

Camping in January, anyone?

No comments: