Thursday, February 10, 2005

42? Single? You must be Gay!

True! At least according to Barbara Walters.

It is amazing how people will assume you are gay if you do not fit their idea of what straight is. A few months after I got separated from wife #1, (the mother of my son), I went out on a few dates, just so I would not fall into a pit of despair. I did not have all that many friends since we had just moved into a new city in a new state. One the 4-5 dates I went on, 3 of the women asked me if I was gay. Their reasoning? I did not "make a move on them" by the second date. Obviously they liked me enough (even though we went Dutch the first date) to see me a second time. At the end of the second dates, all three times, the young woman asked me if I was gay. When I told them "no" and asked them why they thought it, they said I was not acting like a single, straight, mid-20's male. I was being judged gay because I had morals (I was not a Christian at the time, but my moral values were very strong).

Another situation I am familiar with is when two middle-aged women share an apartment, those two women must be gay. Or at least the popular opinion is that they are (I do not subscribe to this opinion). I have know many single 25+ year old women who share homes or apartments who are NOT gay, but on the other hand I know a few who are.

Guilty by popular opinion.

No comments: