Tuesday, January 25, 2005

You Call That Clothing?

I try to read Michelle Malkin's Blog every day (although I do miss it once in a while with my schedule) and today she has covered a story I have been aware of for quite some time. The story is about the appalling styles of dresses being marketed to girls for prom. I won't repost all the links. I want to give Michelle all the props for her hard work in researching this subject. All I want to do is add my opinions to the mix. The prom dresses she has linked scare me. Proms are for high school and college kids. I could not in good faith let my daughter (if I had one) wear one of those designs.

I have a son who is a Junior in high school. We are a Christian (mostly conservative) family and our son has been raised that way for the past 10 years. He has values that make him stand out in a crowd, but those values are tested every day as he attends public school. Parent's, I would like to challenge you. Go to a high school football game (especially if you have pre-teen daughters) and look very closely at the outfits they wear. First off, it seems the outfits get tighter and smaller every year. The shorts (if you can call them that), typically have the school name or team function printed right across the bum like a billboard. It screams "LOOK AT MY BUTT!". You have to...that is where the print is.

I cannot imagine the temptation that my 17 year old son has to deal with on a daily basis at school. The girls are allowed to wear very tight-fitting clothes, midriff baring tops, short skirts and shorts. What is it with middle school and high school girls wearing thong underwear? I chaperoned a week-long retreat for a church I USED to attend and one of the female chaperones had commented to the rest of us that she had never seen so many thongs in her life? WHY? My understanding (after talking with my wife) is that women like to feel desirable and they sometimes wear sexy underclothes to achieve this. I can buy that, but why would a GIRL who should not be sexually active need to wear them? As parents, what kind of message are we sending to our kids if we buy this stuff for them and or wash it? If you see it, get rid of it and have a talk with your teen.

I used to thing Hollyweird was making our girls trashy, but I can see that the enemy is alive and well in our neighborhood. Girls are very much destroying their image with this type of behavior.

No comments: