Monday, May 11, 2015

Scary Dude at the Movies

It was a rainy weekend (May 9-10) in the NTX (North Texas) region and with that I decided to be lazy. I did  little to no housework slept in a bit, breakfast with friends, a little geocaching (with some poison ivy as a result) caught up on some older episodes of Archer (bad stuff but funny) and on Sunday I decided to go to the movies to see The Avengers:  Age of Ultron.  I won't go into detail on the movie because to I am not sure I could give a fair review but I will say this:  James Spader makes the movie, at least to me.

I arrived at the theater early, sat down, and watched TA:AoU, enjoying Ultron's facial expressions and head movement, which were very much like James Spader himself, as he is on NBC's, "The Blacklist".  During the movie it was raining quite hard and when I exited the theater I noticed the park nearby was flooded due to the overflowing of Wilson creek.  I snapped a few photos and drove off to grab a bite to eat before the next movie started (which by the way I had no idea I would be seeing but once I saw it was playing I had to make the time to see it).

I grabbed a quick bite at McDonald's, eating a 1/3 sirloin burger (I think), some fries, and a cup of the worst tasting iced tea I have ever had in recent memory (typically McD's ice tea is pretty good, albeit a bit sweet).

I arrived back at the theater with about 30 minutes to spare before the next showing of "Ex_Machina" started.  I had spotted the trailer online and was intrigued after watching it a few times.  I bought my ticket ($3.40 matinee, again!  Two movies for $6.80) and proceeded to find a seat.  When I got in the theater, it was completely empty so I find my favorite spot (3/4 of the way back, one seat left of center) and sit down.  I am in my seat for all of 5 minutes when voice boomed out, "HEY!  When does the movie start?"  I turned around and see a a scary looking man who looks a lot like "Bubba" from the movie "Forrest Gump" standing in the aisle.  I politely told him it started at 2:05 and he then asked me what time it was now.  I replied it was about 1:30 and he disappeared.  Wow, that was odd.

10 minutes later Scary Dude comes back in the still empty theater and sits down in the seat, RIGHT NEXT TO ME.  He asks me if I have a car.  He asks me where I live.  He asks me if he gives me 5$ if I will give him a ride.  This man is scary looking big.  I am betting he can snap me like a twig.

Yes I have a car.  I lie about where I live.  Sorry, I do not think it is safe to ride with strangers, so no, I will be unable to give him a ride.  Nothing personal.  He could be a kid, male, female, black, white, young, old, whatever...I do not give rides.

He then goes on to tell me he is an out patient at a local hospital and he is on meds to keep from becoming paranoid.  He assures me he is not paranoid at this moment but he will need to get home shortly after the movie to take his meds on time.  He also says he lives very close to his church which is just up the street.  He also states he does not want to walk in the rain.  I can feel for him there...been there, done that.

More people come in to the theater including a family of four (with the children being preteens, it would appear), all sitting at various spots...no one group sitting all that close to another with the exception of the family of four, sitting in front of me and Scary Dude.   Side note, a movie rated "R" that states it has nudity, language and sexual content is really not appropriate for preteens in my opinion, but that is just me.

He goes on to tell me his pastor (he tells me the name of his pastor and the church he attends) dropped him off after church because he wanted to go see a movie.  Knowing what little I know about this movie, I am not sure this is the best choice for my scary looking friend, but I am not passing judgement.  All I know is that he makes me very ill at ease.

He continues to make small talk while the pre-movie attractions play.  He asks me if the movie is rated "R" and how long it will last.  He even goes as far as making a phone call while on speakerphone.  The call was to someone who was going to get a message to he sister to come pick him up...which I hope she did.

Finally the lights go out and the trailers for upcoming movies.  Scary dude gets up a and leaves again and deep down I am hoping he will forget which movie he was in.  There are 14 rooms in this theater...one can hope!  Alas I was not so lucky.

Scary dude comes in moments before the movie starts and sits down one seat away from me, despite the vast availability of empty seats scattered around the room.  During the movie he leaves and returns at least 5 times, always returning to the same seat one down form me.  He makes comments here and there and I begin to realize Scary dude probably is not dangerous, but he might have a chemical imbalance and possibly mild mental retardation.

Upon return from his last venture out of the theater, he rather loudly announces, "That dude got drunk while I was gone!", referring to one of the main characters in the movie who was a heavy drinker.  I realize at this point Scary Dude has no idea what the movie is about.  If you walk away from it you will become lost.  He just seems to be here to pass the time.

The movie is finally over and since there is no one in the row behind me, I jump the seat and move as fast as I can to the exit and then leave the building despite the fact I have to urinate like a Russian race horse.  I do not want to take a chance of getting hung up talking to Scary Dude.

No comments: