Wednesday, August 15, 2007

No Nap, An Early Departure

I was unable to get a nap yesterday. It was just too hot outside and the virus issue was a constant nagging to me all day long. It had given me a migraine and by the time I left early, I was in real pain. Also, we were having WAN issues so working from the office was difficult. Going home made more sense.

I got home and things were quiet. I fed the dogs, ate a couple of hot dogs and some chips for dinner and watched a little TV. I was just dosing off when the phone rang. It was our help desk in China reporting a UNIX issue in NC. I called the end user but since he did not return my call, I left the case a medium severity. About an hour later, one of the UNIX techs calls me saying he cannot log on to the NIS server. I call our server support team and tell them we have a big problem.

Two hours later there still is no resolution, so I call the local UNIX hacker (I mean that in a good way) and told him. He seemed pretty concerned, but confident that he could walk the L2 people through fixing the problem. By Midnight the issue was fixed. Bed time.

Needless to say that 9 hours sleep in 2 days is not a lot, but I am functioning. My migraine is back, but not severe this time. I have been helping out with a virus outbreak in out Virginia office all morning, battling the red tape just to get a PC removed from the network.

It is going to be a long week.

No comments: