Friday, September 16, 2016

Ingress Update

I know it has been a while since I have made an update.   I would like to say that I've been too busy but that simply would be a lie and it's difficult to get motivated to make blog entries when your typing takes so much effort due to illness. Therefore any thing that is typed that will be more than a sentence or two will be done courtesy of Google voice to text.n  Sorry for any errors.

If you have read any of my latest entries, you are aware that I am a fan of the augmented reality game from Niantic, known as Ingress.  Ingress has been overshadowed a bit by Pokemon go but the latter is becoming  less relevant as its popularity begins to wane. Actually Pokemon Go being released helped to me out with my Ingress playing because many Die Hard Ingress players moved over to Pokemon Go at least for a little while. That gave me time to build up my AP and badges.

I was motivated to write this entry today due to an interaction I had with another resistance agent. On my way to work I was hacking, linking, and Fielding Like I normally do at this time of the day. What I am not able to complete on  my way to work I will usually be able to complete on my way home from work. This morning while I was doing some linking I received a message on the Comms Channel from an agent I was not familiar with that consisted of only two words, “please stop”.   I wasn't sure what this meant but my guess was there was an operation running that I was not familiar with and my current linking was endangering it.   I responded with my own two-word response, “stop what?” but I don't receive an answer until after I made it into the office. Once in the office I received a Google Hangouts request from the agent who had reached out to me earlier on the comms Channel. She apologized for her abruptness and told me that she was working on a massive 16 layer field that my current Linking spree  had just ruined.  I felt sorry for her but I am not a mind reader. How was I to know that she was running an op? The last time that I almost interrupted and operation the agent involved reached out and told me what he was doing and I was able to stop before any damage was done.

I guess my point is, if you are going to run an operation and spend several hours doing so, it would help to reach out to the community that plays in that area and let them know so they can accommodate you. I also don't understand why people want to attempt to make a BAF that  involves a highly contested portal.  The portal in question is a at ost office along a heavily-traveled street. Several agent fight over control of this portal every day. I hack/link this portal every morning and if I can link it back to something that I normally maintain, I do. The problem is this agent did not know that, just like I did not know her plans for the BAF. I can tell you that had I known she was working on such a massive project, I would have held off on linking any portals this morning.

I apologize to the agent but I don't think my apology was truly accepted. She sounded very hurt many hours help her time with potentially wasted. now it is possible that she could go back and take down the portal that is causing the problems but that might not be possible for her.   besides comma there is no guarantee that another enemy agent won't come through and muck things up themselves.

I have to give credit to those agents who spend so much time planning projects like this. They are better agents than I am, certainly.   Maybe it's because I'm not really social with my gaming and prefer to play alone. However I would be happy to help somebody if they needed a little bit of assistance on an operation.  I have  knocked down a link or two that was in the way of a BAF for agents in the past.

One of the reasons why I had done so much linking this morning was the fact that I am less than 100,000 AP from reaching the R16 level. This is a big moment for me and I have been working towards it for over a year. I normally give myself a quota of points to make everyday and this week I have exceeded the daily quota and I'm about two weeks ahead of schedule to max out my levels. Of course that's no excuse when you block someone's operation but then you have to know about it you're just playing the game like you normally would.

I have being able to you get to this point in my Ingress playing Thanks to a couple of enemy agents who like to knock down and occasional portal or two at the park across from my house. every time they knocked down 1 portal it gives me the chance to make anywhere from 3 to 10 fields. The amount of points I get exceeds the points they get. it is easier to build than it is to destroy and that is more gratifying as well.

No comments: