Friday, October 30, 2015

Another Android Scare

Yesterday I posted about my near-death experience with my Android tablet (Asus TF201) and how I was able to resurrect it.  I was very happy to have it back, flawed as it has been with slow response and buggy operation with Android 4.1.1.  Nonetheless, I wanted to be able to try other ROM's, just to see if I could make them work.  When I got home and took care of dinner and the dishes, I turned on the TV and sat down with my tablet, holding the power button and down vol  to boot into the bootloader menu.  I clicked over to the RECOVERY icon and it just gave me "the dead Android" image (Android laying down with a red triangle with "!" inside).  It would sit for a few minutes and then it would reboot.  Wash,rinse, repeat.    While the tablet worked, if something happened I would never be able to do anything with it without a proper recovery.

I searched online for a while and realized the issue was that the ORIGINAL ROM I flashed back to had overwritten the "Team Andwook" custom recovery image (heavily modified TWRP recovery image...I think the one I had was for ICS, not Jellybean) and caused the error.  I was a bit unsure of what to do (I am still learning about Android bootloaders, recovery images, boot images, and system images) so again I hit the web and found that TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) has an archive of all their custom (and well reviewed) recovery images for my device.  All I needed to do was download the correct one (Jelly Bean) and use adb/fastboot to flash the new recovery image.

My tablet is not stock by any means (other than the system image), but TWRP is a good recovery image and now I can (probably) safely research other ROM's if I desire.  I know I will need to be more careful in the future but at least I am a bit smarter now.

Hey, this is how I learned about traditional Linux and Windows...trial and error.  Do you know how many times I have had to re-roll my home machines?

BTW, the  tablet seems to be running very fast now, faster than it ever has.  Time will tell if it stays that way but so far, so good.

No comments: